PCARD Regulations - More Info
- Transactions must be reviewed weekly before 2pm on Thursdays, on Settlement System by cardholder and grant manager.
- Only check “reviewed” after making sure all information is correct.
- Turn in all transaction receipts, regardless of dollar amount, to your grant manager. This includes online Fedex transactions.
- Make sure the object code is accurate for the transaction.
- The business purpose must list when, where, why, who and what the expense was for.
- Do not share your Pcard with others in the lab. Each person placing orders should have his/her own Pcard.
- The Pcard cannot be used for travel, and there is a $2,500 limit on a single charge. The Pcard should never be used for personal purchases or to buy gift cards.
- Sales tax should not be charged on the Pcard. Be sure to check your receipts for such charges.
- If your purchase is made via Amazon.com, you are required to submit both the order confirmation page (price must be indicated) as well as the original packing slip if included in the shipment.
- Please familiarize yourself with the Harvard's P-card policy: http://policies.fad.harvard.edu/pages/purchasing-card
Pcard Proof and Review
Obtaining Proof-of-Purchase Documentation
PCard holders must obtain all original proof-of-purchase documentation from the merchant when making a purchase, including recurring or standing-order purchases). BCMP requires original proof-of-purchase documentation for all purchases.
- The original proof-of-purchase document must include the following information:
- name of merchant
- location of merchant
- date of transaction
- dollar amount
- Examples of original documentation include:
- detailed cash or sales receipts
- packing slips with a dollar amount
- subscription or dues forms
- conference registration forms
- statement-of-work reports from suppliers
- photocopies of software mail-order forms
- For purchases where no receipt is generated (e.g., a recurring subscription expense), cardholders must retain a copy of the associated monthly cardholder statement along with a complete explanation of the expense.
- A Missing Receipt Affidavit (MRA, available at http://travel.harvard.edu/files/procurement-travel/files/missing_receipt.pdf) must be completed for lost receipts equal to or greater than $75.
- Following a purchase, cardholders must promptly submit required proof-of-purchase documentation to the appropriate PCard reviewer.
Cardholder Review of PCard Transactions
Each week, PCard holders must:
- review all PCard transactions, providing detailed business purposes for each, either directly in the PCard settlement system or in writing to his or her designated reviewer; business purposes must include the following information:
- who incurred the expense or who benefits (specific names of individuals or groups are required)
- what the expense entailed (e.g., item purchased or activity conducted)
- why this is a Harvard expense (i.e., specific reason, purpose)
- when the event or activity occurred (if not apparent in transaction detail or receipts)
- where the event or activity took place (if not apparent in transaction detail or receipts)
- the following are three examples of acceptable business purposes:
- Toner cartridge for Controller’s Office third floor copier
- Sam Jones and Kris Doe 1.2.09 lunch at John Harvard’s in Cambridge to discuss Oracle project
- Flowers for Jane Smith departmental gift for 25 years of service 1.1.10
- confirm the general ledger coding of all transactions in the PCard settlement system and change if necessary, or provide PCard reviewer with appropriate general ledger coding for all transactions; in some units, the PCard reviewer will be responsible for entering appropriate general ledger coding based on business purposes submitted by cardholders.
- promptly forward all required proof-of-purchase documents (i.e., receipts) to the relevant PCard reviewer (see the “Obtaining Proof-of-Purchase Documentation” subsection, above, for information on required documents); in most cases, departments will require that the cardholder attach the required receipts to a printout of the weekly PCard settlement system Report