Out-of-Pocket Expenses for employees:
All employee reimbursements are now processed through Concur. Please visit the Concur website to initiate reimbursement request. For additional resources, please see below:
Out-of-Pocket Expenses for non-employees (processed as Payment Requests in HCOM for visitors, external fellows, students and HHMI employees):
- The categories of people who can be reimbursed in HCOM via a payment request are non-employees (including guest seminar speakers), temps, Less-than-half time employees, Harvard students, external post-doc fellows, and Harvard teaching fellows.
- Have the Non-employee vendor complete the HCOM Non-Employee Reimbursement Form.
- Make sure your Non-employee vendor appears in the AP Vendor Database. If the individual is not listed, or the remit-to address has changed, a new request must be created for a new or changed vendor using the Oracle Vendor Request Form.
- Bring completed/signed form with original receipts to your grant manager.
Please feel free to call or stop by the office, C1-214 or 213a.
KyungAh Chung-Benedetti: 2-1211, email@example.com
Elmira Dhroso: 2-1210, Elmira_Dhroso@hms.harvard.edu
Melanie Hill: 2-3080, Melanie_Hill@hms.harvard.edu
Jason Hall: 2-1785, Jason_Hall@hms.harvard.edu
Nathaniel Nickerson: 2-0007, Nathaniel_Nickerson@hms.harvard.edu
Stacey Kelliher Tully: 2-4974, Stacey_Tully@hms.harvard.edu
Lola Yao: 2-2408, Chunyan_yao@hms.harvard.edu
Travel and entertainment expense reimbursement policies and procedures
Only work-lab related travel and entertainment will be reimbursed, i.e. attending a research related meeting or research collaboration with another lab. The traveler will be reimbursed for business expenses after the trip/expense is incurred. This includes all prior arrangements made including airfare, hotel reservations, meeting reservations, etc. Please fill out the appropriate reimbursement form and submit it along with all original receipts to your lab's grant manager. Important tip - please make sure to note on the reimbursement form that the reimbursement you are seeking is for university's business-related expenses.
BCMP requires that all expenses must be submitted for reimbursement within 60 days of trip end-date. This will allow us to internally review, approve and submit your reimbursement request to AP in a timely fashion as it must reach AP within 90 days after trip end date. Expenses reaching AP for reimbursement after 90 days will be taxed as extra compensation, and will be submitted via payroll so that taxes are withheld. After 182 days, the expense will not be reimbursed. In the “Business Purpose” section, please explain when, where, why, who, and what. Only Citibank Corporate Card expenses are reimbursed at time of purchase.
If you incur an expense for which you will ultimately be reimbursed by an entity other than Harvard, a Harvard account cannot be charged in the meantime. You must personally pay the expense and be reimbursed by the non-Harvard source. Harvard accounts are not to be used as holding places for expenses.
For mileage reimbursement rate, please visit IRS website for the most up-to-date standard mileage rate: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-issues-standard-mileage-rates-for-2019
Sponsored Travel Cost Guildelines at a Glance (please refer to http://osp.finance.harvard.edu/travel-policy)
- You must choose the lowest fare available in coach class.
- If using federal funds, US Flag Carriers must be chosen for travel within the US and when departing from the US and where available while abroad regardless the cost and convenience.
- Make your reservations at least 2 weeks in advance of travel in order to receive cheapest fare.
- Train travel on Amtrak is an option when economical. The Acela and Metroliner are discounted through Harvard Travel Center (496-8000) or http://www.travel.harvard.edu.
- Meals are not reimbursed for One-day trips.
- No alcohol on federal funds.
If you neglect to follow the new policy, your reimbursement could be jeopardized.
There are minor exceptions to these regulations. The complete Sponsor Travel Policy is at OSP Policies.
Citibank Corporate card payments
All corporate card payments are now processed through Concur.
Seminar/Department Related Expenses
To be reimbursed for expenses incurred for seminars, etc, please follow same procedures as all other reimbursements but give paperwork to Kristen Parker, 2-5620, located in C-213B. Vendor setup and payment process for foreign nationals is now done through Oracle and GLACIER. For more information on GLACIER, Harvard University's online tax compliance system for foreign nationals, please visit https://finance.fas.harvard.edu/glacier.