Harvard Medical School houses two core facilities providing access to negative stain and cryo-EM instrumentation; we are looking for a highly motivated scientist to join our team. The Harvard Cryo-EM Center for Structural Biology, formed as a consortium between HMS, Boston Children's Hospital, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, and Massachusetts General Hospital, serves the consortium members and a variety of external academic and commercial users (https://cryoem.hms.harvard.edu/). The Molecular Electron Microscopy Suite is a training resource for Quad-based researchers at Harvard Medical School. The successful candidate will provide support and training for researchers seeking to learn cryo-EM and negative-stain EM in these two facilities, serving as an interface between the instrumentation and a vibrant scientific community. The candidate will work closely with a team of scientists to support COVID-19 and related projects in many research areas and will take on facility management responsibilities.
- Serve as the technical interface between users and the Talos Arctica and Titan Krios microscopes by loading samples and checking microscope alignments.
- Train users to operate TEM microscopes, specifically the Tecnai T12, Talos Arctica, and Titan Krios; including sample preparation (negative stain and cryo-plunging), grid loading, sample screening, and data collection.
- Advise researchers on experimental strategy and, when appropriate, collaborate with them to assist in data acquisition, analysis and structure determination, particularly with COVID-19-related work.
- Interact closely with the core facilities’ team to manage microscope and equipment maintenance, coordinate user scheduling and training, and interface with SBGrid to assist with the computational needs of both facilities.
This position will have a high degree of independence, opportunities to present at regional and national scientific symposia and workshops, and opportunities to develop collaborative relationships with Harvard community investigators.
- Ph.D. in a field related to structural biology such as cell biology or biochemistry. Experience in structural biology at the postdoctoral level is desired.
- Experience with negative stain EM and cryo-EM. Cryo-electron tomography practical application and analysis experience is valuable.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Harvard is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV to the director, Dr. Stephen Harrison, via email@example.com. In the Subject line of your email, please write: Cryo-EM Specialist.